Poker is a series of card games and which associates various expertise, setting out a strategy and gambling by the players. Poker game has been popular in the 21st Century and has been elevated from a simple leisure activity to worldwide activity on which various tournaments are held and the winner takes away great prizes. This game has also been coded and programmed into software and application, therefore, making it available online. This advancement now enables pokers everywhere around the world to challenge each other online without necessarily moving to meet and share a round poker table with their opponents.
The most common poker game and the one prevalent on nearly every site is Texas Hold’em. Other than recreational and leisure purposes, Poker may also be a gambling game where each player bets that the worth of their hand is superior to those of others and the winning player becomes the one who is holding the highest hand.
The Worth of Poker Hands
The worth of a poker hand is determined by the ranking of the poker hands where the highest-ranked is the winner. To become a winner at the Poker game a player should bluff by raising their bet and this may force the other players to fold their poker hands. A showdown is when all the betting rounds are done and two or more of the opponents show off their hands. At showdown, the player with the best poker hand becomes the winner.
Chart of the Poker Hand Ranking
- A royal flush is the best-ranked hand and should all be in the same suit such as A, K, Q, J and 10
- The second-highest ranked Poker hand is the Straight Flush which contains five cards of consecutive rank and should all be of the same suit such as 4, 5, 6, 7 and 8.
- The next ranked hand if Four of a Kind such as 2, 2, 2, 2 and A.
- A Full House Poker rank has three cards of the same kind and one more pair such as A, A, A, J, and J.
- In a Flush, all the five cards of the player should be of the same suit for example 2, 8, 4, A and J.
- A Straight Poker Hand Rank is composed of five cards of consecutive rank but of various suits.
- Three of a Kind such as 5, 5, 5, K and A.
- Two Pair Poker Hand rank, for example, A, J, J, 5 and 5.
- One Pair such as 7, 2, 4, A and A.
- The last ranked Poker Hand is the High Card which contains all the five cards unpaired, not connected and all of the different suits.
A blind is a bet that is placed by a player before any cards are dealt. The player to the left of where the action begins pays a small blind and the player to his/ her left pays a big blind. At each point of the hand, the aim of a button is to show off the beginning of the action. In Professional Poker game, the button is a hired employee and in home poker games the player who deals the hand becomes the button.
The betting rounds have various names in poker games with community cards such as Flop, River, Turn and Preflop.
- In Preflop, the bets are placed before any of the community cards are dealt.
- In Flop, the first three of the community cards have to be dealt in order for the bets to be placed.
- Turn; once the fourth community card is dealt, the bet placed on is the Turn.
- When the fifth and the last community card is dealt, the bet placed afterward is the River.
The table stakes mean that once the Poker game begins, the player can only place a bet of the amount they had at the beginning of the hand and that they can’t add anything else on the table in the process of the Poker game.